Budgeting & Awarding Procedures


Total Estimated Cost of Attendance

The Financial Aid Office uses standard student budgets that reflect average costs you will face while attending Grossmont College. The budgets below are calculated for a nine month academic year, assume roommate situations and are developed with data gathered annually from the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) and periodic surveys of regional housing costs. They are also intended to provide sufficient funds for most students in most circumstances. Student budgets are not, and cannot, be intended to meet each person's full financial responsibilities.



Standard Student Budgets for Full-Time Attendance

Housing Status Living with Parent(s) Living away from Parent(s)
Fees 1,332 1,332
Books and Supplies 1,750 1,750
Food and Housing 6,900 14,800
Personal Expenses 3,000 3,300
Transportation 1,200 1,200
TOTAL 14,182 22,382

Allowable Additions to Budgets


Medical or Dental Expenses not covered by insurance (documented)
Out of State Tuition cost per unit: ($307.00 - subject to change annually)
Dependent Care Costs (documented)


Family Resources

It is expected that parents, to the maximum extent that they can contribute, have the primary responsibility for financing the cost of a Dependent student's education. A standard formula used for all applicants determines this amount. The information you report on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid is used in calculating your contribution. Factors such as income, assets, and benefits (for example, unemployment or Social Security) are all considered in this calculation. Whatever the origin, ALL resources available MUST be reported as soon as they become known. Failure to report resources may result in repayment to the district of funds already received. 


Dependency Determination

Whether or not we consider your parents' income and asset information depends upon whether or not you are considered a dependent or independent student.


By federal regulation you are considered an "independent" student for the 2021-2022 academic year:

  1. If you were born before January 1, 1998.

  2. If you, at any time since the age of 13, were a ward of the court (a current or former foster youth for example); or both parents are deceased.

  3. If you are or were in legal guardianship until age 18; or were an emancipated minor as determined by a court.

  4. If you were homeless at any time on or after July 1, 2020.

  5. If you are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces or currently serving in the military on Active Duty.

  6. If you have legal dependents.

  7. If you are married.

If you do not meet one of the above requirements, you will be considered a "dependent" student and will be required to provide parental information.